Friday, December 28, 2007

Wheels up

At 6:30am this morning, I will be off from Raleigh to Des Moines changing planes in Milwaukee. It is being said that neither party has had a race this close in fifty years, much less both races so tight with Iowa now a statistical dead heat on both sides. This morning I am asking myself why I would leave my family for the longest stretch of time in my recent memory to go to the middle of the country where the temps are not going to exceed freezing for the foreseeable future all at my own expense. At some level, I am embarking to live out a passion that has plagued me since I was a eighth grader in Youth Legislature (similar to Boys State) in Mississippi. But I also believe that this election is truly one of those historic, culture changing moments in American history and perhaps the uniqueness of horse race, the polarized country (depending on who you read), and my own internal desire to see a real change in the direction that America is heading will provide me companionship, warmth and an experience no money could buy.

The plane is scheduled on time. Wheels down in Des Moines 9:38am CST.

1 comment:

matt said...

I agree that we could see "real change" this election. I am a bit puzzled as to how much different a Huckabee or Romney West Wing would look? Call me crazy, but if this election is really going to be as monumental as you say, then I don't see the GOP winning as working into that idea.

By the way, it appears that Jed is stumping for Richardson while Toby likes Biden.

West Wing Supporters