Monday, December 31, 2007

The Week Ahead

In the spirit of Iowa, I will publish my schedule for the coming week (subject to change).

Monday -- At work in Indianapolis (someone has to protect the world's crops from yield robbing weed, insect, and disease pests).
Monday p.m. thru All Day Tuesday -- New Year's Celebration with friends and family in Indy

Wednesday -- Depart for Quad Cities, Arrive at Romney Campaign's Bettendorf, IA office to work phone bank from 5p to 8p

CAUCUS DAY (Thu, Jan 3) -- From 9a to 6p I will be working phones and going door to door as a part of Operation M.I.T.T. (Mobile Initiative for Tactical Turnout). The strength of the Romney Campaign's "Get Out the Vote" effort could be significant in a tight race. It is supposed to be sunny and 30 degrees in Bettendorf with a 10% chance of precipitation.

At 6p, I will attend a local caucus with one of our precinct captains. The Romney campaign will likely be the only on the Republican side to have staff or volunteers at each and every precinct caucus in the state. A victory party has been scheduled in the Quad Cities for staff and volunteers to gather as the results are reported from around the state.

Some have estimated that the GOP will have about 80,000 caucus-goers statewide on Thursday night. If we assume the back markers in the GOP field continue to receive their 5-15% as polling indicates, the magic number for Mr. Huckabee or Mr. Romney to ensure victory could be 28-30,000 caucus-goers. It is my goal to ensure the turnout of 50 Romney-supporting caucus-goers during my short time on the ground.

Jonathan met Mark Madden Saturday in Iowa. He has a great piece today contrasting the field operations of the Romney and Huckabee campaigns.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Remember Dale, you can't actually caucus yourself. I would hate for M.I.T.T. to be undone by a scandal in the final hours. Besides, we need you to keep your nose clean cause the next time I come to Iowa, I am planning on being special counsel to the candidate.