Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mitt and Mac

Last week I suggested a post-mortem on all the stalled candidacies. Mark Halperin offers Ten Things Mitt Could Have Done Differently. It is a combination of entertainment and enlightenment.

I also read the full transcript of Romney's address today at CPAC.

The essence is: "I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country. I will continue to stand for conservative principles; I will fight alongside you for all the things we believe in."

As I suggested in this morning's post, Romney's loyal followers recognize that the serious business of improving America is not accomplished in a nasty fight with John McCain. Things were becoming tense and personal among folks who have a lot in common.

This does not mean we embrace McCain's record or all of his views, but for the 2008 election cycle we probably need to spend a little more time celebrating the many common threads of our vision for a stronger country.

God Bless America!

No comments: