Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Nevada Caucus - In the Room

It was chaos. All the reasons that Iowa should go first and keep the caucus as its voting mode (it is their birthright, they take it seriously, it's democracy in action and the Clinton's hate it) are exactly the reason Nevada should not be caucusing. Mass confusion reigned. We ran out of ballots and no one really knew if we needed them or not. We started a half hour late and I could have voted without ever registering as a Democrat for the day so I expect the possibility of voter fraud is more viable than Edwards on this 19th day of January.

I appreciate that my new home state has the opportunity to weigh in so early in the primary calendar. We should just adopt the primary system.

To the results...in precinct 6493, Hillary carried 44-35 over Obama however both camps receive three delegates. It will be a close race. We'll see if the unions carry it for Obama. Edwards was not viable and I expect will do very poorly today. (Internet rumors are beginning to emerge that say Edwards could endorse Obama which would be a significant development in this race.)

As a side note, Romney swept the GOP caucus without any trouble and at the end of the day will hold the delegate lead.

Now I want to find the fastest way to change my party affiliation back to a proud independent. No offense, but a Democrat for a day is about all I can handle.

No comments: